Sunday, November 29, 2009

Back on the beat



With the cold all most gone it was time to get back out there and do my conservation thing.  I spent the day walking the site talking to visitors and getting a better idea of the sites layout.  In a nutshell the site is split not just by the different habitat types but it is also dissected by railways.  Running across the site is the main line as well as a mineral line so to get to some areas the track has to be crossed at designated points.


 Viaduct supports


The day stated wet with a strong falling of rain.  By the time I had walked up the access road and managed to work out the keys to not only get into the compound but to also unlock the mess room and get a brew on the rain had stopped.   The day then remained mainly cloudy with a chilly wind.


 Fleshy fungi

I took a wander round to the sheep field to ensure they were all accounted for and not showing any signs of lameness and then carried on walking round the perimeter route as I intended to see if there were any star fungi still up.  After giving up hope of seeing any as the area they had been was now back to just earth I set off only to come across them a short way on when tying up my shoe.  There was only a limited number out so i grabbed a few shots before they rot off.


 Star fungi

The rest of my time I spent walking and looking for other differing fungi and interesting things while stopping to observe the odd bird.


 Splash of colour provided by a maple leaf

Popped into the café to see if they needed any assistance, thank fully they were ok without me and they just got me emptying the bin.

No comments:

Post a Comment